Recent Post

Sunday 18 August 2013

Borderlands 2 Game Review



 Borderlands 2 is a first-person shooter that randomly generates the guns you find, varying damage values, clip sizes, accuracy, and even how many bullets they fire at once. It’s built like an RPG: you level up by killing things, improve your character’s abilities, and find higher-level guns to kill higher-level beasts and bandits on a rocky, backwater planet.
That was already compulsive in Borderlands 1, but here the formula’s been tweaked to ridiculously addictive effect. I think I had one or two guns I really liked in Borderlands, and the rest were necessary but uninspiring situational alternatives. In 2, I have a full loadout of weird, powerful and satisfying weapons I love, and an entire ‘alternate’ set in my backpack that I switch in and out to compare potency.
I’ve become a gun scientist. Sometimes I fill all four weapon slots with different types of shotgun and throw myself into a nest of Skags – as one does – to take notes.
The Jakobs has the numbers – 24 pellets at 600 damage each – but it’s an ammo hog, and the Hyperion’s bigger clip makes it better against mobs. But it’s hard to bench the Tediore, because when it’s out of shells, you can throw it at someone and it explodes and a new one teleports into your hands. And goddamn it, I’ve run out of Skags.



This is the game, and it makes Borderlands persistently fresh in a way other shooters never are. So it’s weird that they kick it off with a painfully slow introductory segment that strips the game of everything that makes it good. It’s ages before the first randomised gun even drops, and for ages after that, it’s all useless inaccurate trash. And although the quests later become a highlight, in the first hour they’re a maddening drag. You spend most of your time trying to figure out why your robot guide Claptrap has stopped following you, and backtracking to unstick his sloppy scripting.
It matters more than most shitty intros, because you’ll probably go through it more than once. Even if you stick to one class, you can start the game again after you complete it, taking your levelled character into a mode with new high-level enemies and loot. And if you don’t, of course, there are three more classes to try.


The Commando can throw down a turret, a play style that needs some planning: you can execute satisfying pincer movements, but it doesn’t help you escape if you screw up.
The new Siren can temporarily suspend a single enemy in the air, and her skill recharges rapidly enough to be used in every fight. It’s spectacularly cool to leap into the air to get a perfect shotgun critical on your hovering victim.
The Gunzerker can enter a rage that lets him use two guns at once, regenerating health and ammo as he goes. It’s fun, but the perks he can unlock as he levels up are less interesting: mostly percentage increases to this or that.
The Assassin can cloak, leaving a hologram of himself to keep enemies focused on his former location. I stuck with him for my main character, upgrading to give myself lots of buffs shortly after every kill. The ultimate skill in that tree let me maintain stealth if my melee attack killed someone in one hit. I could prey on groups by taking out the weakest first, invisibly eliminating each until only the toughest was left.

The main quest takes you to some cool places, but it’s often marred by disproportionately tough bosses. Dying in a boss fight also undoes all the damage you’ve dealt, wasting all that time and ammo. I once made the mistake of using the nearby fast-travel station to get to a shop to restock. Turns out you can’t travel back to that particular beacon, so I had to do the whole mission again, with all enemies respawned.
Luckily, you can level up by doing side missions first, where these problems generally don’t come up.
It’s generally well-adapted to the PC: graphics options, an FoV slider, some sensible control tweaks, and most importantly smooth and responsive mouse movement. My only issue is that levels load before the textures are ready, so everything’s hideously blurry for a moment.
I’ve been playing Borderlands 2 all day, every day, for five days – and I’m probably going to play it again when I finish this. It’s not the most consistently brilliant game, but I can’t think of another singleplayer shooter that’s given me more hours of fun. My Assassin’s second playthrough is as interesting as starting fresh with a new class, and I plan to do both.
It seems crass to judge a game by quantity, but this is quantity of quality. So if the amount of money you spend on games is a practical concern, it’s worth saying that this one is freakishly good value. Even if it’s not a concern, it’s worth saying that this one is freakishly good.

Email Newsletter



Smiley :)
:D
:)
:[
;)
:D
:O
(6)
(A)
:'(
:|
:o)
8)
(K)
(M)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *